If you are on a personal journey of self-discovery and improvement, this is a 5 star MUST read book for you.
This book will generate profound insights and learnings that can have a sustainable and transformational impact on your life and on all of your relationships.
It is an easy read. Written as a novel, you will find it difficult to put down. Because anyone reading this book can see themselves in the characters, the content will touch and influence you at both a conscious and subconscious level.
In essence, you discover that:
- The only person you can control is yourself
- When you take responsibility for your life you choose whether to react or respond to any thing that happens to you
- If you choose to respond, you are “out of the box” and retain you power because you see others as people with thoughts and feelings. This is a state in which you can grow and be happy.
- If you choose to react to circumstances that occur, you give your power away. You see others as objects to blame. You are “in the box”
- When you are “in the box” you live life in a sub-optimal way. You are in a state of self-deception that “blinds you to the true cause of the problems”
- When “blinded” any solution you conceive only accentuates the problem
- You rationalise your behaviour; blame others to justify your behaviour to yourself. This self justification deceives you. Your “truth” does not reflect the reality.
- If this pattern continues, it becomes part of your being – who you are as a person. It unconsciously becomes part of your character.
- In Part III of the book, the authors provide solutions on “How we get out of the Box”.
Having read the book a while ago, I still have a raised level of conscious awareness of how I am thinking, feeling and acting towards others. Because of this it has had a profound positive impact on how I live my live and has made me a better person for having read this book.